1: Creed 2: Manners 3: Character 4: Act of Worship 5: Deeds
7:Masah–pass wet hand over feet
How to Perform Ghusl Taharat Complete Ablution in Islam
What is Meaning of Ghusl?
Ghusl Means To Take Complete Bath
Ghusl is legislated by the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of Holy Prophet (PBUH).
Allah said:If you are in a state of sexual impurity (Janabah), purify yourselves. (5:6)
And (ordering that one should not pray in that case) he said:
Nor when in a state of sexual impurity (Janabah), except when just passing through (the Masjid). (4:43)
The Messenger of Allah ﷺsaid:
«إِذَا تَجَاوَزَ الْـخِتَانُ الْـخِتَانَ فَقَدْ وَجَبَ الْغُسْلُ»
When the two circumcised organs meet, then Ghusl is obligatory. (Muslim)
When Ghusl is Obligatory:
- 1: The state of Janabah which includes sexual intercourse, meaning the insertion of the male sexual organ into the female sexual organ, whether it is accompanied by the ejaculation of semen or not.
- 2: Ejaculation, that is the discharge of semen accompanied by sexual pleasure, whether asleep or awake. This applies to males and (the similar case) to females as well.
- 3: Cessation of menstruation and postnatal bleeding.
Allah the Almighty says:Therefore, keep away form women during means and go not unto them till they are purified (form meanses and have taken a bath). And when they have purified themselves, then go in unto them as Allah has ordained for you. (2:222)
Allah’s messenger ﷺsaid to the woman (who experienced the case of Mustahadhah):
«امْكُثِي قَدْرَ مَا كَانَتْ تَحْبِسُكَ حَيْضَتُكَ، ثُمَّ اغْتَسِلِي»
Abide the extent you consider your normal period to be, then perform Ghusl. (Muslim)
- 4: Acceptance of Islam. The one who accepts Islam must perform Ghusl, because when thumamah Al-Hanafi accepted Islam, Allah’s Messenger ﷺcommanded him to perform Ghusl. (‘Abdur-Razzaq, and its basis is in the Two Sahihs)
- 5: Death: upon the death of any Muslim, it becomes ordered that to wash his body, since the Messenger of Allah ﷺordered that for his daughter Zaynab when she died, may Allah be pleased with her. (This was recorded in the Sahih)
When Ghusl is Recommended:
- 1: For the Friday congregational prayer.
Allah’s Messenger ﷺ said:
«غُسْلُ الْـجُمُعَةِ وَاجِبٌ عَلَى كُلِّ مُسْلِمٍ»
Ghusl on Friday is obligatory for every male who has reached the age of puberty.(Agreed upon)
- 2: Ihram either for “Umrah or for Hajj; since the Messenger ﷺdid so and commanded it.
- 3: When entering Makkah, and the day of standing at ‘Arafah; as done by the Messenger ﷺ.
- 4: After washing a dead person as mentioned in the earlier Hadith.
The Obligatory Elements of Ghusl:
- 1: Intention, which means the determination of the heart to remove major impurity by performing ghusl.
The Messenger of Allah ﷺsaid: Deeds are judged by their intentions. And every one will have what he intended. (Al-Bukahri)
- 2: Pouring water on the entire body, rubbing the areas where it is possible to do so. If it is impossible, one should pour water to cover such areas.
- 3: Being sure that the water reaches all parts of the body, including the fingers and the hair, and especially the recess parts like the navel etc.
The Sunan Elements of Ghusl:
- 1: Reciting:«بِسْمِ اللهِ» Bismillaah.“in the Name of Allah’”
This is legislated when beginning any significant action.
- 2: Washing the hands before dipping them into the water container.
- 3: Removal filthy matter in the beginning.
- 4: Washing the limbs that are normally washed for Wudhu’ before washing the body.
- 5: Rinsing the mouth, taking water into the nose and blowing it out. Plus washing the inner side of the ears.
Acts that are Disliked for Ghusl:
- 1: Wasting water.
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ performed Ghusl with one Sa’ which equals four Mudds
- 2: Performing Ghusl in a filthy place where one fears that he may splash some impurities upon his body or clothing.
- 3: Performing Ghusl with the water left over form the purification of a woman; since the Prophet ﷺprohibited that, as previously clarified.
- 4: Not using any screen or barrier to block the view of others while performing Ghusl. It is narrated that Maymunah (the wife of the Messenger ﷺ ), may Allah be pleased with her, brought the Messenger of Allah ﷺwater for ghusl and she held a veil to hide him until he completed his Ghusl. If ghusl was recommended without a screen, she would not have veiled him.
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: Allah the Almighty is Modest and covering, and He loves modesty. When one of you performs Ghusl, let him screen modesty. When one of you performs Ghusl, let him screen himself. (Abu Dawud)
- 5: Performing Ghusl in standing water.
The Messenger of Allah ﷺsaid:
«لَا يَغْتَسِلَنَّ أَحَدُكُمْ فِي الْـمَاءِ الدَّائِمِ وَهُوَ جُنُبٌ»
Let none of you perform Ghusl in standing water while he is in a state of Janabah.(Muslim)
The Manner of Performing Ghusl:
That you say: «بِسْمِ اللهِ» “Bismillaah.”“In the Name of Allah,” intending to remove the major impurities by performing ghusl. Washing the two hands three time removing any filth. Performing Wudhu’ for the removal of minar impurities. One has the choice to wash his feet while performing Wudhu,’ or to wash them at the end of the Ghusl. Dipping one’s hands in the water to get them wet, then going through the hair with them in order to let the water reach the roots of the hair. Then he washes his head plus his ears three times using a total of three handfuls of water. Then he pours water on his right side starting with the upper part then the lower one; and doing the same with the left side. He should be sure that water has reached all the recessed parts such as the navel, the armpits, and the knees.
Hazrat Aishah, may Allah be pleased with her, said: “Whenever the Messenger of Allah ﷺ performed ghusl to remove sexual impurity, he used to wash his hands before dipping them into the container, wash his private area, perform Wudhu’ like that for Salah. He sued to soak his hair with water, pour three handfuls of water on his head, then he poured the water over his entire body.” (At-Tirmithi)
What is prohibited while one is in a state of Janabah:
- 1: Reciting or reading any part of the Noble Qur’an, except seeking refuge form Allah
The Messenger of Allah ﷺsaid:
«لَا تَقْرَأُ الْـحَائِض وَلَا الْـجُنُبُ شَيْئًا مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ»
The one menstruating and the sexually impure are not to recite anything from the Qur’an (At-Tirmithi)
Hazrat Ali May Allah be pleased with him, said: “The Messenger of Allah would recite the Qur’an in all circumstance, except while in the state of Janabah.” (At-Tirmithi)
- 2: Entering a Masjid, except for merely passing through for some necessary matter.
- 3: Performing Salah, whether obligatory or supererogatory.
Allah the Almighty says: O you who believer! Do not approach As-Salah (the prayer) when you are in a drunken state until you know (the meaning) of what you utter, nor while sexually defiled, except when just passing through the Masjid till you wash your whole body. (4:43)
- 4: Touching of a copy of the Qur’an, even with a stick or the like.
Allah the Almighty says:That is indeed an honorable recitation. In a Book well-guarded. Which none can touch but the purified. (56:77-79)
«لَا تَمَسَّ الْقُرْآنَ إِلَّا وَ أَنْتَ طَاهِرٌ»
Do not touch the Qur’an except while you are in a state of purity. (Ad-Daraqutni)
Note: Women are not commanded to undo their braids, they are commanded only to pour three handful of water on their head rubbing them without undoing their braids.
Umm Salamah (the wife of the Messenger of Allah ﷺ) said:
“O Messenger of Allah I braid my hair closely, should I undo it while making Ghusl for removing Janabah?”
The Messenger of Allah said:
«لَا، إِنَّمَا يَكْفِيكَ أَنْ تَحْثِي عَلَى رَأْسِكَ ثَلَاثَ حَثَيَاتٍ مِنْ مَاءٍ»
NO, it is sufficient for you to pour only three handfuls of water on your head.